"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Beginning of the End

I was trying to finish the post about our last endurance ride of the season (and possibly ever) last night but there just came a point when I couldn't write anymore about anything having to do with the horses or competing or adventuring, because none of that seemed very important anymore. I am shaking as I write this.

This article, just posted about a little over an hour ago in The New York Times, says it best. I've never cared as much about politics as I have for this election, mainly because I had such a blindingly horrible bad feeling about it. I'm copy-pasting the section of the article that has me sobbing.



The Trump Era Dawns
by Ross Douthat

Today, Nov. 9, is the 18th of Brumaire by the French Revolutionary calendar — the day in 1799 when Napoleon Bonaparte led a coup against the revolutionary government, established himself as First Consul, and set about redirecting world history as few men have done before or since.
Donald Trump is not Napoleon, but for those of us who have cast him as merely a comic-opera authoritarian, a parody of a world-historical figure, his very own 18th Brumaire is a time to reconsider. He has won a truly astonishing victory, and won it in spite of polls and experts and all the data nerds and get-out-the-vote consultants who labored tirelessly for Hillary Clinton … in spite of the opposition of the Republican Party’s past presidents and presidential nominees and most of conservatism’s intelligentsia … in spite of the media that had gleefully lifted him up in the G.O.P. primary and then believed (reasonably, but wrongly) that it had torn him down … and finally, in spite of his own acts of self-sabotage, which seemed egregious but turned out to be insufficient to keep him from his destiny.
So here he is, soon to be the most powerful man on the face of the earth, with no popular mandate but a Republican majority nonetheless awaiting his direction, a court of hacks and flatterers around him, a bureaucracy and deep state unsure how to respond to him, an unstable world regarding his ascent with apprehension (or, in Moscow and Beijing, satisfaction), and none of the preparation that even the most inexperienced of modern American presidents have brought to their lofty office.
What happens next promises (and threatens) to make history as nothing has in America — not even the trauma of Sept. 11 or the election of the first black president — since the Cold War ended almost 30 years ago, or since the social crises of the 1960s and 1970s further back than that.
On the global stage Trump’s populism and nationalism makes him very much a man of his times, with parallels to figures as diverse as Marine Le Pen, Recep Tayyip Erdogan and of course Vladimir Putin. But in the American context he is like nothing we have seen before — a shatterer of all norms and conventional assumptions, a man more likely to fail catastrophically than other presidents, more constitutionally dangerous than other presidents, but also more likely to carry us into a different political era, a post-neoliberal, post-end-of-history politics, than any other imaginable president.
retract none of the warnings that I issued about the likelihood of catastrophe and crisis on his watch. I fear the risks of a Trump presidency as I have feared nothing in our politics before. But he will be the president, thanks to a crude genius that identified all the weak spots in our parties and our political system and that spoke to a host of voters for whom that system promised at best a sustainable stagnation under the tutelage of a distant and self-satisfied elite. So we must hope that he has the wit to be more than a wrecker, more than a demagogue, and that his crude genius can actually be turned, somehow, to the common good.
And if that hope is dashed, we must find ways to resist him — all of us, right and left, in the new chapter of American history that has opened very unexpectedly tonight.

God be with us. If it comes down to that, all I can hope for now is a quick death, because there are things in life far, far worse than the peace death brings. And just like I had a bad feeling about this election, I have an even worse feeling about what will be happening next.

24 comments:

  1. I was horrified to see the result this morning. I fear for the world. I fear for animal welfare, women, homosexuals, muslims and everyone who is not a white male. I do see dark time ahead and I hope we can mitigate it in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always room for more horse people

      Delete
    2. We might be headed up there too if worse comes to worst! <3

      Delete
  2. I am awake here at 3:30am, my brain scrambling to comprehend, worried for everyone, terrified for the Supreme Court, and deeply sad for our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California is doing some amazing things in response, though! Makes me wish I was on the West Coast!

      Delete
  3. I'm horrified at my country......that the majority of beings that live here chose this man to lead our once beautiful and strong nation......and deeply terrified what will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only bright side I can see, is that with all three branches of government firmly in the Republican's clutches, it will be impossible to blame what happens for the next two years on the Democrats. The midterms will come sooner than we think.

    Don't get me wrong - the idea that we will soon be led by someone who brags about and actively promotes misogyny, bigotry and hatred sickens me to the core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current concern is whether we will get to have midterms at all. Since they wanted to eliminate the 19th amendment and all...

      Delete
  5. I am literally sick about this. I just had to turn the radio off. Some caller chimed in... clearly white, male, older, and Trump. He said that the young people who voted for Hillary need to be "educated". His suggestion was for us (yes, me) to talk to someone who actually came here legally from another country, a Communist country, and hear what those people say about Trump. He honestly seemed to think that those are the people who would talk about how great America is and how grateful they are to be here. Let me tell you something. My parents came here from a Communist country. *I* came here from a Communist country. Do you (the collective you) know what it feels like to flee one terrifying government with a mere $20 to your name, to jump through hoops to do it legally, to do it with fear of death... only to end up HERE? I am sick. Sick and terrified and sad. And angry. So angry. I hate what this country has become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you Dom. The Brazilian doctor I used to work for is one of the most bull-headed anti-current-president speakers on my Facebook feed, and he is constantly battling the pro-current-president rhetoric with this same type of argument: his family and himself when he was a child arrived here as refugees. He has kids now that he is genuinely terrified for. People here haven't got a clue.

      Delete
  6. I feel like this is the beginning of the end. But the reality is, if people with this much misogyny, bigotry and hatred exist already, this downward spiral was already in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. This is why the international community hates the US so much...and this country has just proven them right.

      Delete
  7. I don't even feel like this is my country anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like everyone's worst nightmare has come true and we can't wake up.

      Delete
  8. "And possibly ever"???! Say it isn't so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone that is different is persecuted (I fall in that category for being Latina with an accent and a Spanish last name) competing is not happening. Canada actually is a feasible option for us because we work in the medical field. But I have a good mind to stay and fight. For my rights yes, but even more so those of the LGBT community, who stand to lose everything with this election. I have way too many people I adore to pieces that are a part of that community and I WILL take a stand with them.

      I want to think things will continue to be as they always have been, in which case, we will continue doing what we always have done. But my gut feeling tells me it won't be. And if that's the case, then there will be things far more important than going to endurance rides.

      Delete
    2. I understand that this is NOT the point at all, but Canada has some great endurance rides <3

      Delete
  9. I'm so very sorry. I'm British (so we had the whole 'leaving the EU' campaign which was entirely driven by racism surrounding migration) and we were all desperately rooting for the US to not make the giant error we did. My thoughts are with you, and so is my action.

    ReplyDelete