"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Tuesday, December 23, 2014

TOA Blog Hop: Shining Star



Beka asks:

Let's talk about the biggest achievements your horse has accomplished. I'm not talking about you as a rider - I want to know what your ponykins has done to make you proud. Is there a glorious satin collection, did he/she figure out some dressage movements that took months to learn, or is it just a great day when your butt stays in the saddle? 


I think anyone that's been following the blog this year will know what my answer to this question is going to be.

Imagine this: a timid, nervous and submissive mare who never had an opinion about anything. Who was always at the bottom of the totem pole in the herd hierarchy. 

Who got picked on by other horses even when all she ever wanted was to be their friend. 

Who would question my guidance from the saddle through any trail-related issue. 
And sometimes from the ground too.
Who had meltdown after meltdown whenever she was outside of an arena. Who hated venturing into the unknown.
"I HATE TRAILS."
Who would get frustrated and shut down when she didn't understand what I wanted. 

Who would not touch water that wasn't contained within a bucket or a trough.

Who would walk away from me when I went out to get her in the field. 
Or simply run away from me when given a choice.
-------------------------------------------

Now picture this: a mare that rules her herd with a watchful eye for danger, with a sense of fun where play is encouraged, and whose leadership means that squabbles among herd members are now non-existent.

 A mare who, despite being herd leader, would still rather let a friend have her hay than pick a fight over food. A mare who is so brave on the trail, that green riders or riders on green horses want to ride with us because this mare inspires bravery in the horses and riders that accompany her. 

A mare who will plunge into 3' deep running water without asking questions, without hesitation. 

A mare who will go out and keep trotting and cantering from sunrise to sunset, ears pricked and striding out happy and strong, simply because it is what I ask her to do. 
photo by Becky Pearman

A mare who will find the trail even when I can't see it. Whom I can always trust to get us back home, back to the trailer, or back to ride camp when I have no idea where we are.

A mare who is game for any adventure I can think of.

A mare who will come to me in the field when I call her. 


A mare who is happy to see me.

A mare who wants me with her.
photo by Michelle Mayer

A mare who loves me.


She has the most heart and try of any horse I have ever met before. She believes in me as much as I believe in her. She trusts me as much as I trust her. She is my companion, my partner in crime. She has exceeded my wildest dreams, and a piece of my heart will always live within her. 


She is my shining star.






11 comments:

  1. Sweet anthem to your wonderful mare. My favorite of this blog series and so good I'm not even going to try to write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww Karen, this is exactly how I felt about your post on The Making of the Horse! It was so beautifully written.

      Delete
  2. I think this should be adapted into a children's story/fable. You can do the illustrations yourself! =) It's got all the aspects of a great story - especially for kids: an animal - and a horse at that!, rags to riches plot, a human to love, valuable lessons to learn/teach about being a good friend/leader, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if my comment got eaten or published....here goes again :)

    What a wonderful story and team you two make. Good for you for continuing on and not simply giving up on her. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I love this! What a great mare :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh this made me teary eyed! I'm so happy with the relationship you have developed with her. She has come so far!! I'm so used to the confident mare she is now that I forget what she used to be like. This was a great answer for the blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great entry! You have a lot to be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete