"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Wednesday, August 26, 2015

WW: A Tour of Our Favorite Town

As usual, not really wordless...

We have really fallen in love with the area we live in now. We love MD, but Frederick is just pure awesomeness. Have a photographic tour! A lot of these were taken during my mom's visit almost 3 weeks ago as we showed her the sights and discovered more new places in the process!

They sell some kick-ass local honey in this little store. We had never seen it prior, but we noticed it while giving my Mom the tour close to Sugarloaf.


With my mom next to a giant sunflower!
I don't think I would live in a blue house (I love the color, yes, but not THAT much...haha) but I just love the bones of this house. I mean, c'mon: it has a turret!
Some of the trim that isn't visible in this photo is a violent purple. Definitely eye-catching and unique!
A secret garden!
For all the West Coast readers: sorry, this is a mountain. ;) It is not a hill. It's not one of your tall snow-capped crags but I dare you to hike the trails going up it...they are just as rocky and have no switchbacks! None of the trails in this whole region have switchbacks. There is a reason why our Old Dominion ride in the Virginia mountains is called The Beast of the East, second only to the Tevis Cup in difficulty! ;P (Tevis, or the Western States Trail Ride, is held in Placer County in CA and is considered the most difficult endurance ride in the world.)
The mountains seen from Frederick are the Catoctin range, which are part of the foothills of the Appalachians.
The Appalachian mountain range of the US East Coast are among the oldest mountains in New World. They formed the central mountain range of Pangea, the great supercontinent before the continental drift.
These green mountains are as old as time. (Hint: The Appalachians are 4x older than the Rockies.)
Here is a great comparison between the Appalachians and the Rockies.


Trail on the same mountain as the picture above, Sugarloaf.
That ain't no "hill trail". I've hiked in the Rockies, both in Wyoming and in Lake Tahoe, CA.
The trails there were tamer than the majority of mountain trails I've done out here so far, both on horseback and on foot.


See that brick wall on the other side of the canal, with the door?...
...It's all painted!!! The bricks, the door, all of it!
So are the bricks on the bridge!


Frederick is considered the hipster city of MD.
Being yourself, being unique, is a big thing up here.
We saw a woman walking around downtown dressed as a pirate. I thought it was a costume until I realized, upon a closer look, that she was wearing ordinary clothes that were mixed and matched in such a way that  like a pirate. It was really awesome.


I love this building. I've featured it on the blog before.
A hand-painted canvas announces a record store.
Lots of little basement stores like this one!


Love the details above that alley entrance.
In the DC/VA/MD region, history is a big deal, and Frederick is no exception. Francis Scott Key, the man that wrote The Star Spangled Banner, was born in Frederick! He is honored throughout, with street names like Key Parkway and the local radio station Key 103. It's one of the things we love about living in this area: it has a story. Everything has a story.  People have their stories, and the ones that have lived here for a long time are always happy to share them. 
Reminds me of some of the architecture you see in Baltimore.

At The Delaplaine Art Center in downtown Frederick.



Loved this.
We walked around downtown on this day, the first Saturday of the month (which apparently is a big deal in downtown), and there was live music everywhere, both on the streets and inside some of the restaurants and bars.
There were shiny metallic beetles in these flowers...
Like this one.
They looked like little jewels.
Love the colors. Nothing is dull around here.
They sell All The Dog Stuff at this little store!

All the stone houses. This is a different one from the one in the previous photo.
Check out the awning.
See? Artsy. I'm not posting pics of the house this belongs to because it's REALLY unique and well, privacy. But trust me: you see some really cool, out-there home decoration around here!
My mom said it: "This area is so you two!"


Happy to be here!


24 comments:

  1. Frederick reminds me of Shepherdstown, Boonsboro, Funktown, and Hagerstown - which I suppose isn't too surprising considering they're all relatively close! It's pretty cool what people have done to modernize old Civil War era structures while still keeping the intrinsic dignity of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me of Old Town in Alexandria, but at a fraction of the cost. I'm worried that the neighborhood expansions will eventually make it just as expensive as other areas closer to DC. It is so wonderful right now!

      And agree re: Civil War era structures that are both modernized and preserved with dignity.

      Delete
  2. Frederick has character, that's for sure. I love towns with character. It is sad to travel and find yourself in a place that is pretty much the exact same as where you left due to all the national chain stores nowadays. It is really hard to find local flavor, but you two have done it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100%! It's basically a mix of my favorite cities. I love the old brick and stone buildings and the bay windows remind me of San Francisco. Carroll Creek Park, near the art school, reminds me of my favorite part of San Antonio, TX: the Riverwalk. The artsiness and hipster vibe are the finishing touch, which make me think of the way I imagined Austin, TX to be. I hope it always stays this way!

      Delete
  3. So gorgeous. I haven't gotten to see that part of the country before but it looks very worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it definitely is! There are similar places, like Georgetown in DC and Old Town in Alexandria, VA, but Frederick just feels so much more...authentic.

      Delete
  4. Your town is so beautiful. I love the old style of architecture and how the buildings look like a mix of Boston and New Orleans. What a great weekend spent with your mom and your man. I love the pictures of you with each of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great weekend, and a great reminder that we should go into downtown more often. It's wonderful to be so close to it now! :D

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful spot! I want to visit Frederick sometime (and see a giant sunflower) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find the occasional sunflower field around here! :)

      Delete
  6. So cool! Our director used to run the Frederick County Historical Society, and he always speaks very highly of the area. I'd love to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute pictures! i've really spent very little time in frederick - but it's so charming! glad you love it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederick is just starting to really boom and expand, from the looks of it so far. I think it is going to look completely different in a few years...I hope we get to watch it grow and change. :)

      Delete
  8. What a fun place to explore. If we are ever in that part of the country, you have convinced me to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! You're not too far away as it is. :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos! Sometime I'm going to come without my horse:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember being enchanted by the east coast's charm and history, I'd love to see it again someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thoroughly enjoyed your West Coast tour on your blog too, Lytha. :)

      Delete
  11. What a neat city, and to have so much history! I love the beetle on the hydrangea, I have a thing for bugs and flowers. And the old stone buildings are so pretty, we have nothing like that (earthquakes tend to do that). Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed! :)

      Delete