"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Friday, November 30, 2012

Q&A

I borrowed this one from Liz over at In Omnia Paratus:

Save or splurge: 
1) saddle: SPLURGE. Maybe not a splurge for a lot of people's standards, but $1500 on a saddle was a lot for me. Sold my dressage & AP, and still had to make up the difference. The saddle, my Ludomar Alta Escuela, was totally worth it, though. :)
2) board: Trick question. Save by South FL standards, average by MD standards for full board. I could have found field board for a lot less, but the care at this barn is incomparable!
3) halter: Save. The cheapest safety halter Smartpak had.
4) bit:  Save. Purchased new on eBay for $20 (referring to the low port pelham I'm currently using).
5) bridle: Save. It's a Plymouth dressage bridle from Smartpak ($50). Though the Spanish mosquero browband I bought for it cost more than the entire bridle...
6) saddle pad: Save. My fave saddle pad, that seems to be the most comfortable for Lily, is a Union Hill $19 AP pad! In navy blue with light blue trim. The thing still looks new after getting washed every other week for the last year. Want more!
7) trailer: None. Save?


First thing that comes to mind: 

1) Haflinger: Big Boy. Owned by a lady at my old FL barn before the previous manager was kicked out. Big Boy's owner was terrified of him. He had become fully aware of his size and strength after excessive pampering and timidity from his owner, and she was completely intimidated by him. I tried helping her out, but after getting dragged around the arena multiple times while trying to lunge him, I threw in the towel before I got hurt - he needed a professional trainer and proper training facilities with a round pen. He was too big (a large Haflinger at 15hh, and overweight-probably 1300 lbs) and way too aware of it. Not the best first impression of this breed.
2) Quarter Horse: Cloud, my old QH gelding. Adored him.
3) Thoroughbred: Jumpers. I rode so many OTTBs during my jumper days!
4) Warmblood: Big, heavy, and dressagey. I'll keep my TB-type horses, thank you!
5) Welsh Cob: Cute large ponies with lots of bone. One of my favorite breeds.


This or That:

1) english or western: English
2) tall or short: Short
3) trail ride or beach ride: Beach ride!
4) long mane or short mane: Depends on the horse and the mane. I'd love a long mane on Lily, but since she barely grows a mane, it's roached. Love this look on her!
5) hunters or jumpers: JUMPERS!
6) XC or barrel racing: XC
7) outdoor arena or indoor arena:  Depends on the weather. If I have to choose only one or the other, the indoor because you can still ride when it's raining.
8) trot or canter: Trot. Lily's canter is not the most comfortable, and it is her weakest gait-I work HARD to keep her going the way I want her to! The trot is much easier and comfortable, in Lily's particular case.
9) canter or gallop: Canter. I think my wild child days are over. I got all the crazy stuff out of my system after jumping 3' to 5' fences for 17 years. We did a lot of galloping back then.

10) paddock boots, tall boots, or cowboy boots: Paddock boots and half chaps. I owned 4 pairs of tall boots total during my time in the jumper arena- the memory of the torture of breaking in tall boots is still very vivid!
11) horse shoes or barefoot: Barefoot
12) saddle or bareback: Saddle


About you: 
1) How long have you been riding? 23 years
2) Do you own or lease a horse? Own
3) Breed? Age? Height? Name? Andalusian/TB cross, 6 years old, 15.1hh, Tiger Lily
4) Do you have any other pets? Cat (Astarte)
5) If your horse was a person, what kind of voice would they have (you can use a celebrity for an example) I don't know why, but I'm thinking Wynona Ryder.
6) Does your horse have a “color”? If so, what is it, and what do you have in that color? Black, gray, white trim, and any shade of blue. Everything is in these colors: saddle is black, gray and white; my saddle pads are in all shades of blues and combinations of blue, black and gray; my bridle is black; my girth is black; Lily's stable blanket is black; her turnout sheet is black, gray and blue; her midweight blanket is blue and black.
7) Does your horse do any tricks? Kind of. We do stretches after rides, and when Lily sees me with a treat, she will do her favorite stretch (bow) for more!
8) Have you ever dressed your horse up for Halloween?  Not Lily. I did dress up Tamarindo, a horse I rode and trained a long time ago, as a Native American war pony. We won the costume contest!


Favorites: 
1) Breed? Andalusian, Lusitano, Welsh Cob, Mustang, Quarter Horse.
2) Discipline? Dressage.
3) Coat color? Dapple gray.4) Famous horse? The Black Stallion.
5) Horse race/competition? Rolex.
6) Brand of tack? Ludomar.

7) Thing to do with your horse?  Dressage, trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment