"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Wednesday, November 27, 2013

WW: Crappy Weather

It was in the 30's today, and a mix of rain, sleet, and slushy wet snow. Riding was certainly out of the question but I drove out to the barn anyway to set up Lily's grain and check up on her. The storm let up while I was there, so I actually got to visit with her a bit.

"Ohai!"
Leaving her giant mound of hay from the round bale to come say hello.


I'm really happy with this blanket. 36 hours of steady rain and she's still dry underneath.
It's a Tough-1 Snuggit Turnout blanket in 1200 denier, 200 gram fill.

Eating her dinner.
The field board mares get placed into modified chutes to eat, but I learned today that Lily absolutely refuses to go into hers. So Rolando just feeds her outside. She doesn't bother the others.
I kind of laughed to myself on the way home. We horse people are bonkers. With that awful weather, I would have never thought to step outside to go to the grocery store a half mile from the apartment. However, I gave no second thought to driving the 10 miles over to the barn to make sure my mare is comfortable. I'm sure any of you would do the same! :)



6 comments:

  1. I think I might buy one of the blankets you use on Lily. Nimo is hell on his blankets, plus they never seem to stay waterproof for long. This one is inexpensive and looks well made, so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That Tough-1 is going on its second winter. Hopefully it will work as well for you and Nimo as it did for us! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that huge pile of hay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably last longer if they put it in the round bale feeders...they rip the bales apart so they can stand and lie in the hay! Haha...It's really cute when a group of 3 or 4 of them are curled up in a circle on the ground around the bale.

      Delete
  3. Hehe yes we are crazy! I'm glad her blanket is keeping her dry. :)

    ReplyDelete