"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Sunday, June 22, 2014

OD 50: Reviews and Analysis

This is going to be a detailed review of what worked and didn't. I hope I don't bore you guys with the details, but it is more for me to remember exactly what I did right and exactly what needs to be fixed and why! Hopefully my mistakes are helpful for others. :)


What Worked:

Lilybird wearing All The Gear (except the bit; she was still eating)
  • The best decision I made in ALL of this was choosing to ride in the Alta Escuela after all. I don't even want to think about how much more sore I would have been had I ridden in the Wintec, especially given the soreness the Wintec had caused me on downhills when I did the 15 mile trial with it 2 weeks before the OD. The muscle soreness I experienced was mostly a result of muscles that need further strengthening (shins and glutes) but especially as a result of dehydration (more on that later). I experienced no long-term pain or soreness thanks to riding in this saddle. My left hip is infamous for becoming irritated with slight changes in posture/balance caused by saddles. I experienced NO pain in that hip neither during nor after this ride. Most importantly however, Lily passed through all of those vet checks with NO back pain whatsoever. Slow 50s like what we did are known to cause back soreness in horses with even the most well-fitted saddles. Not in our case, thank goodness. 
    Photo by Mike Turner (Dom's Mike)
  • Stretching while riding. I tend to hold tension in my left shoulder for whatever reason. In the wrong saddle, that tension will turn into an excruciatingly painful knot behind my shoulder blade that will affect my posture and even my ability to lift. (Something you want to avoid when you're going to have to be repeatedly placing and removing a 35 lb saddle during a ride! And yes, I finally weighed my saddle.) I made sure to stretch my left arm whenever I felt that tension building up and I am convinced the saddle choice helped with this too. I had no pain/soreness behind my shoulder blade after this ride.
  •  Having a full backup set of boots of a different make.
  • The Vipers did a good job. The two boots whose cables survived (on Lily's right front and hind feet) didn't slip, chafe, budge AT ALL during 50 miles of trail. I was contacted by Renegade about the cables that snapped: apparently there were some quality control issues with some of the Viper cables and I am being sent new cables, free of charge. You cannot beat the quality of customer care of that company. I love them love them love them.
  • The Gloves also did a good job. On a whim I tried Lily's single size 0.5 boot on her hinds the week before the OD. I'd been using size 1s on her hinds prior. With some difficulty the 0.5 boot went on both feet. Oh shit. That explained why I'd had occasional retention issues with the 1s! They were too big! So I ordered a pair of 0.5s from Riding Warehouse (they have $5 two-day shipping for orders over $50. I can't even begin to tell you guys what a godsend that company and their $5 two-day shipping was for getting prepared for this ride!) Also on a whim, I threw in my online cart a roll of Easycare Mueller Black Tape. I suspected now that Lily's left front 0.5 boot was probably a tad too large, given that the same size boot had fit on her hinds, which are larger hooves. I carried this tape in my saddle bag and at the first Bird Haven check I wrapped a good amount of it on Lily's smaller left front boot. That boot stayed on right until the very last loop of the ride, when the tape had become a mush of nothingness and the boot slipped off once. It got strapped on again and didn't give me any other problems. These boots also didn't cause any chafing. Why these boots in particular as backups? I had seen their performance on Q's hinds during Fort Valley last fall and knew they could work over the particular terrain of this series of rides. I would have gladly purchased a set of Renegades as backups but Lily's feet are still changing and the main catch with Rennies is that, because they are made to move with the horse's hoof, they have to be slightly loose to avoid retention problems. Once you get the fit right, those babies WILL STAY ON. If your horse is just being transitioned to barefoot or is just starting distance training, you may want to wait a bit before investing in Renegades until your horse's hooves' growth has stabilized. Hooves get wider and larger with distance work barefoot. Granted, Renegades are highly sought out and have a great resale value. You can still invest in Renegades and then just sell them when/if your horse outgrows them. However, I wanted to have a backup set of boots that would work for a good long while since they were going to be, you know, backups. Easyboot Gloves are meant to fit tight. Actually, the tighter the fit, the better they will perform. This made them perfect as backups: if Lily's hooves grow more, they will hopefully still fit. And it didn't hurt that they are $30 less/boot.
  •  Halter bridle with bit hangers. This was a last minute impulse buy from The Distance Depot. I kept thinking and thinking about this and the idea just would not leave my head. I decided I wanted to be able to remove Lily's bit quickly without having to mess with buckles and straps. This was brilliant. It made things so much easier at the vet checks and it provided another signal for Lily that it was break time - I loosened her girth, unclipped her bit, and turned her reins with snaps into a lead rope. Bonus: it worked perfectly with the beautiful browband Karen had made for us! 
    Photo from The Distance Depot. This is the exact same bridle I have, except in black and DayGlo Blue with brass hardware. In this photo you can see how the bit straps clip onto the bridle halter.
    Lily models her browband by Karen
  • WHITE Tipperary helmet. This was another impulse buy. I have mentioned in passing a couple of times that I really wanted a more trail appropriate helmet than my velveteen-covered $200 IRH ATH helmet. It is SO comfortable but I was starting to have issues with heat due to: a) it only having front vents and b) the helmet being black in color. I walked into a tack shop with Charles to pick up some fly spray (and score a pair of Noble XtremeSoft Boot Socks, thanks to a gift certificate!) and made a point of trying on all of the schooling helmets. I had a Tipperary Sportage in a size large and had had issues with headaches and wobbliness on my head. I tried a medium on and discovered that the reason why I had had problems with the size large was because it was too big! The medium fit my head shape like a glove. So I checked Riding Warehouse for them, discovered they had them in white, and ordered the helmet. I had no heat issues whatsoever, even when riding in the sun on the third loop. I could feel the cool breeze entering my helmet through the vents and actually forgot I was wearing it when we arrived at the third vet check! The color choice was a fab idea: I never once felt like my brain was roasting like I have with dark helmets in the past. Bonus: it's not a plain boring white, this helmet. It's actually a true pearl color with an iridescent sheen. Really pretty. 
    Love it
  • My clothes. I wore a Champion sports bra (Target), a Brooks tank top, Kerrits Flow rise tights, the Noble XtremeSoft socks, seamless underwear, and Merrell low cut hiking shoes. All the clothes were soft, flexible and non-chafing (for the most part). The Noble socks were particularly awesome: they are a wicking blend but do have cotton so they still breathe. Loved them!
  • Having a cantle bag. I had purchased the Stowaway Deluxe cantle bag and the pockets were large enough to hold a pair of boots on each side compartment with the center compartment being large enough to hold all sorts of odds and ends. Center compartment had 3 extra pockets too. This allowed me to free up my pommel bags for water and snacks.
    I have this bag, but in royal blue
  • Chamois Butt'r cream. This stuff is pretty amazing. After the first loop, my butt was just starting to chafe from the seamless seams of my underwear, so I slathered some of this stuff on (I carried it in my cantle bag) and the seams never bothered me again for the next 36 miles. 
  • Not identifying myself as a Green Bean. I've heard a lot of stories recently of people having a rough introduction into this sport when they are recognized as newbies, either because of outwardly admitting it or because they were recognized as such due to different equipment. It is common to attach a green ribbon to your horse's tail so people know you're new. However I didn't want the opinions and criticism. I was riding with an experienced friend and mentor and am not new to conditioning horses. I happened to have enough of the "correct" gear to blend right in: a sheepskin-covered saddle that looks like an Ortho Flex, biothane tack, caged stirrups, tights, riding in hiking shoes, a vented helmet, well-worn equipment in general. I could talk the talk and walk the walk (enough to get me by, at least!), and had a knowledgeable companion to answer questions and guide me. (THANK YOU LIZ!!! :D) There is no shame in being new to a sport, but I just didn't want to deal with the additional stress of strangers' opinions and judgement, especially given the insanity of being a brand-new endurance rider making her first ride not only a 50, but also the Old Dominion. I was happy to admit it afterwards with a successful completion under my belt, but not before. 
    I love the Green Bean stuff and have learned so much from being a member of the Facebook Endurance Green Beans!
  • Caged stirrups. I had mentioned how I won a pair EZ Ride Caged Stirrups on eBay. I LOVELOVELOVE them!!!! Why? The extra thick padding absorbs shock, but the combination of cage + 4" deep stirrup foot bed allows you to pretty much place 2/3 of your foot in the stirrups, which in turn allows you to stand in them almost as if you were on the ground. If I hadn't found these on eBay I never would have tried them out and I would have missed out...they are so amazing. If you spend hours in the saddle, they are truly worth the investment.
  • The weather. We had a pure stroke of luck there: high 70's with low humidity, something which NEVER happens at this ride. It was quite chilly when we were up on the mountains, at least 10 degrees colder. We wouldn't have completed otherwise with such beautiful weather. It also helped that it didn't rain the night prior to the ride so the trails were pretty dry for the most part.  
  • Having a crew car for the away checks so Mike and Charles could bring stuff without having to unhitch Liz's trailer. 
    My car crammed to the gills with stuff for Q, Lily, Liz and myself, plus a Mike and a Kenai :)
  • And last but not least: riding with an experienced friend. Liz! We would never have made it without Liz's guidance, moral support and pace setting during this ride. Thank you Liz for believing in us, babysitting us and pulling us along when we thought we couldn't continue!

What didn't:
  • Electrolyting? I'm still on the fence about this one. I have researched the subject, even making a point of reviewing my facts prior to this ride, but after this personal experience, I need to research this a lot more and come up with my own plan. Electrolyting at endurance rides can be controversial and it is considered by some in endurance circles to be a topic akin to religion and politics. Those of you with medical training will know that electrolyte imbalances can be dangerous. They can cause heart arrythmias and they can even kill you in extreme cases. It is common practice to elyte horses at rides the night before, the morning of the ride before the start, and at each of the vet checks. It helps replace the electrolytes the horse loses sweating, maintaining an acid base balance that can help prevent metabolic problems, and also helps to stimulate the thirst response in horses. Supplement too much and you can actually suppress the horse's thirst response. Truly oversupplement and you can create a real problem. How much is too much? It will depend on each individual horse which is why this can be a touchy subject. I use Perfect Balance Electrolyte because it is the brand most resembling the electrolyte ratios of a horse's sweat. At home I had been elyting Lily only after rides where she had sweated significantly. She was drinking great during our training rides so I had felt no need to elyte her before riding. A horse's gut has an enormous capacity for storing electrolytes. The best source of electrolytes in a horse's diet is good quality grass hay. A great way to prepare a horse for an endurance ride is to provide free choice hay the last week or two before a ride. This is also a good time to provide feed-through electrolytes so the horse can build up a store in their gut. I did both of these with Lily the week prior to the OD. I gave her a syringe with 1 scoop of PBE the evening before the ride, another the morning of the ride, and another at the first vet check. This is a moderate approach to supplementation during the ride: some people will give 3 syringes of electrolytes at a time during each of these instances! I was not happy with her drinking during the first loop of the ride. She drank very little, like she used to over the winter, despite the elyte supplementation. The weather was quite cool in the morning so it wasn't surprising that she didn't drink great during that first loop. (She did, however, drink wonderfully at the check.)  Then we had no access to water before nor during the hard climb of the second loop, though she drank very well as soon as water was provided afterwards. I'm still wondering if the elyte supplementation might have contributed to Lily's murmur at Laurel Run.  I forgot to send elytes to Laurel Run so she was not supplemented before continuing. She drank better than she had during the entire ride during the third loop. She drank every time I pointed her at water. Including puddles. So I didn't elyte her again for the rest of the ride. During the last 6 miles of the OD she didn't drink as well on trail as she had on the third loop but by then she was well aware that we were returning home and knew how long it was going to take to get there. She was just in a hurry to get back and didn't really care to stop for water unless she absolutely needed it. Don't get me wrong: she did drink, and she drank better than in the first loop, but she did not drink at every instance like she had on the third loop. The fact of the matter is that the heart murmur did not reappear. Was it because she stayed better hydrated? Yes. Now, did the electrolytes contribute to that dehydration, to the heart murmur itself? I don't know, but it is a possibility. So now I'm up in the air about the whole subject. Is it enough to just elyte load before a ride? How much should I supplement Lily during a ride? At a hot weather ride like this one, I'd honestly be afraid not to supplement at all. At a cooler weather ride, I would want to to encourage drinking, so I would also want to supplement to a certain degree. Dom gave me some suggestions. She used to use NuSalt for Ozzy, which has added potassium, and Lyte Now in syringes. I''ll try these for longer training rides to see if it makes a difference. Opinions and experiences with this subject, especially with non-Arabs? Please share in the comments!
  • Functioning on so little sleep. I slept exactly 1 hour on Thursday night after working a busy ER shift, then woke up to meet Carol and Nick at the barn. On Friday night I only slept about 4 hours because I was so excited. Yup: 5 hours of sleep in 48 hours is not appropriate rest prior to a 50 mile ride.
  • Washing Lily with alcohol + water at the 3rd vet check. It didn't help her pulse down. The cooling sensation of the alcohol freaked her out. Need to do this more often at home to get her accustomed again.
  • Making this my first endurance ride ever. We were incredibly lucky to complete successfully. Very, very, very lucky. Would I recommend others do the same? No. Hell no. Unless the person and horse routinely train in areas as rocky and steep as these particular mountains. You'll find similar terrain in parts of PA and WV. If those are your training grounds, by all means go for it. But make sure your horse can handle high heat + humidity! Even as an LD, I would not recommend this as your first unless, again, you and your horse are used to training in the kind of footing you will encounter on these trails. 
    Yup, like that.
  •  Merrell hiking shoes. I love them and they were great for riding and walking. But they had no ankle support whatsoever. If I'd been wearing my Timberland hiking boots, I never would have hyperextended my left ankle at the beginning of the ride. They also would have protected my ankle from further damage when trying to hike up the mountains to give Lily a break. 
My Merrell hiking shoes. Love them. Just not for rocks.

Equipment:
  • Need a handheld GPS device for moments when there is no cell reception. Liz's phone GPS will work on airplane mode but mine does not. Without a GPS device on an unknown trail it can be hard to know what pace you're moving at, especially when you're exhausted and start to lose sense of time. A GPS device will also give you an idea of how much longer you have to go before you reach the end of the trail! I like Carol's Garmin and may invest in one in the near future.
  • Charles wants a small cart on wheels for away checks so he can transport stuff from the car to the check. Him and Mike had to hike quite a distance from the car to Bird Haven with the 1,000,000 items they had to set up.

Training:

  • Lily needs A LOT more hill work! This is going to be a once a week drill instead of a twice a month thing. I need to find a steeper hill than the one we've been using. Maybe the one at the park across the street that Kathy and I used to gallop...Carol is interested in trailering up to Southern PA where the terrain is very similar to that of the OD rides. I plan on accompanying her.
  • Tailing. Need to teach both mares to do this. It will come very much in handy!

Flora Hillman and Beaverwood Spiderman tailing through the Indian Graves section of the Fort Valley endurance ride in 2008. Photo from enduranceridestuff.com

  • My rider fitness needs an overhaul. I'd been running 2-3 miles 3 times a week the last 2 months (it's hard to want to workout indoors when it's so beautiful outside!) but that was so, so not enough preparation. I'll be heading back into the gym for Spinning classes, the Stairclimber and the rowing machine. And hill sets for myself on the treadmill!



Nutrition:

I failed EPICALLY at taking care of myself during this ride. While my mare gets an A, I give myself a D. My favorite workout foods are pasta salad (which I make with tri-colored rotini pasta, grilled chicken, tons of veggies, shredded Parmesan, and low fat Italian dressing), chocolate Power Bars and Uncrustables.

My pasta salad
I forgot the Uncrustables in the freezer at home, didn't have time to make the pasta last minute, and Charles couldn't find the chocolate Power Bars when he went grocery shopping on Thursday. So of the 3 foods that I will eat no matter what, I had 0. Zilch. Nada. Instead, I had Cliff Shots, Power Bar Gel Blasts, Gatorade (I also completely forgot that I LOVE coconut water so it didn't even go on the grocery shopping list), Kind Bars, turkey jerky, Nutella, fruit cups, and tuna & cracker snacks (my favorite snack on barn days).
My best meal on race day was breakfast: coffee with creamer, half a banana, half a bagel with peanut butter, and a yogurt cup. At the first vet check in Bird Haven I was starving but was not craving ANY of the things I had brought. I completely forgot the fruit cups that Charles had put in Liz's cooler which would have been awesome at that point. I had also completely forgotten that Charles had bought chocolate milk...which was sitting in our cooler back at base camp so it would have been of no use to me even if I had remembered we had it. I rummaged through the bags of snacks and decided that I really wanted Nutella...and turkey jerky. I sat down with the Nutella jar in one hand and the bag of turkey jerky in the other, looked at both, and had the good sense to realize that these were two food items that would NOT sit well together in my stomach for the following 16 miles. So I sadly set the Nutella aside and ate the turkey jerky. The entire bag. And packed my saddle bags with Cliff Shots, Gel Blasts and Kind Bars. The Cliff Shots were a constant pick me up on the trail. I ate one bag of Gel Blasts and did feel better (thanks to all the sugar they contain...). I ignored the Kind Bars. I packed two in my pommel bag and never touched them, even though they are my favorite snack on an ordinary day. I took Hammer elyte capsules whenever I remembered and alternately drank plain water or water with added Fizz electrolyte tablets. However, I did not drink enough water, especially on the last two loops of the ride. On the last 13 miles I used up Lily's water bottle and my own for pouring on her neck. I ate a PB&J sandwich at the Laurel Run vet check but ate nothing at the second Bird Haven check; I only drank water and Gatorade. Dinner after the ride was a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, broccoli salad and chocolate milk. I had one celebratory beer which was accompanied by a bottle of water! I really missed having my pasta salad and craved carbs for the next 2 days. I lost over 5 lbs of water weight, which took 48 hours to recover. I was thirsty until Tuesday. I was so sore and tired on Monday that I almost called out of work but I would get so stiff sitting around that I decided that it was probably better for me if I went to work and moved. We had an especially busy shift in the ER but I made a point of drinking as much water as I needed to no matter what, and it ended up being awesome because by the time my head hit the pillow at 4:00 am Monday night, all of the lactic acid and soreness had been flushed out of my muscles. I woke up good as new on Tuesday.

I know better.

Note to self: eat better and DRINK MORE WATER DAMMIT! :)


Perspective of a Noob:

Ok guys. Seriously. Endurance is awesome! Let me count the ways:

  1. People doubling back on our trail would warn us of iffy footing ahead so we would know to be careful.
  2. Liz didn't like our neighbor but after living in FL I guess I'm highly tolerant of what others consider rude. I understood why the guy asked us to move and the way he did it: we were all a bunch of young(ish) kids in his middle-aged eyes and I'm sure he thought we'd be a nuisance. (We weren't. We behaved ourselves while in camp) Him and his wife (who was the one actually riding; he was just crewing for her and being a majorly supportive husband!) fell in love with Kenai and offered advice (whether we wanted it or not, but it was all well-intended). On Sunday morning, him and I got to talking about trucks and trailers and he gave me all sorts of wonderful, valuable advice that I took notes on!
  3. Our neighbor's wife tossed our mares some of her own hay when she was feeding her horse in the morning. I was touched.
  4. When we had boot snafus, other riders passing us would stop and ask if we were okay. Then they'd ask if it was okay for them to pass: they didn't want to upset our horses. Two ladies insisted on standing behind us and waiting for me to get Lily's boot on before continuing so our horses would stay calm (Lily and Q would have been fine, but this was such a nice gesture of them.) Later when the two ladies had boot snafus of their own, we returned the favor.
  5. Everyone had such a great sense of humor.
  6. The volunteers at this ride. They were amazeballs. Thank you to all of the volunteers for everything you did for the riders and their horses, for smiling encouragingly at us riders while scribing for the vet, for bringing our horses water, for holding our horses for us while we ran to pee, for letting us know how much time we had left, for forgiving our blunders with the out-time, for checking on us, for offering words of advice, for your support. This was a HUGE endurance ride with more than 100 riders and this wonderful network of staff managed to make me, at least, feel like I mattered, like my horse mattered, and like what I did for my mare mattered. I didn't feel like I was getting lost in the fray. I have never before experienced something like this at an equestrian event.
  7. The vets. OMG the vets! I was having problems with Lily pulsing down at 2 of the 4 vet checks, and these vets were all concerned but kind, wise but flexible, and more than willing to take the time to answer questions and give advice if you requested it. They seemed to like the fact that I had questions and wanted their advice. I'm still impressed with the vet at Laurel Run who went out of her way to consult with the equine cardiologist to make sure that Lily would be okay. I loved our vet at the second Bird Haven vet check who was so sweet and kind. I'm still impressed with the vet who gave us our completion, who reminded us that they are available for us even after the ride if we are concerned, have more questions, or notice anything amiss with our horses. I had gone into this ride afraid that the vets might have an attitude of being out to get the riders, but it was not like that AT ALL. At least, not for me. They genuinely wanted you to succeed but they genuinely cared about your horse as well. It can be a fine balance at an event of this magnitude and this difficulty. Even Nick stopped by at Bird Haven to check on Lily and me and make sure that everything was going well for us. 
    Lily being ausculted at the last Bird Haven vet check

And there were so many other things that now I can't remember.



Behind the Scenes Photo Vomit:

Charles with Flossy, one of the barn cats, while we waited for Carol and Nick to arrive at the barn on Friday morning.
Flossy is NOT a lap cat but she jumped onto Charles's lap. Says something about the guy when all animals adore him. ;)
I love that mountain and want to know what it's called.
We're off! Photo by Dom
This is what happens when I try to get a photo of my man and my horse together.
Yup, like I was saying...lol
Rocks..
...rocks...
...and more rocks...
ALL the rocks!
Kenai being the best Husky ever.
Bird Haven hold.
Liz taking care of herself...
...and me NOT taking care of myself!
But my goofy grin kind of says it all: "WOW first endurance ride first 50 first vet check first ALL THE THINGS WOW!" haha...
Such noobness
Kenai gives Charles the goo-goo eyes :)


Dom and her Mike hang out with our guys after she was done with her LD, waiting for our return to Bird Haven.

This is why Emu is named Emu! Isn't that the coolest marking ever?
Dom talks about him in her post.
We were out scrambling over rocks on the side of a cliff while the boys were very busy at the vet check. Lol
Dom gets Kenai to focus hard.
My Turtle Award. I named her Geraldine.
Carol and Nick's Chesapeake Bay Retriever Gris is the best Chessie ever.
I rode in the back seat of the truck with her napping on my lap most of the long drive back to MD.

26 comments:

  1. Wow, did you ever think your biggest issue would be with not eating?

    I know where there are some great mountains to run up . . . .

    I love Geraldine!! What a cool rock and it won't try to bite your face off.

    I wish I could have been there . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been warned that it might be a problem what with nerves, exhaustion, excitement. And then I just had so many other things on my mind that I forgot that that might be a problem!

      Hahaha! Yes, this Geraldine really won't try to bite my face off! Or chew threw the back seat of my car. ;)

      I wish you could have been there too!!!

      Delete
  2. Re: your phone GPS not working in airplane mode - I have to manually TURN ON my GPS once in airplane mode. Have you done this? I think you have to go into settings with iPhones to turn it back on. Try it? Let me know? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I have not tried it in this sequence. I will give it a whirl! Are you still using Endomondo or a different app for this?

      Delete
  3. Oof, sorry I haven't commented on these -- I've had good intentions! Would love to hear what arm stretches you used while riding.

    I keep going around in circles about the electrolyte thing. I'm afraid to do too much, for all the reasons you mention, so I've stuck with pre-loading Perform N Win, because that seems safe. But I know how much better *I* feel and function when I'm pounding elytes; I'm a good drinker but it makes a *huge* difference in my athletic performance. I also salt most of my food heavily and suspect I may be an outlier in general, and I know one can't extrapolate from humans to horses, but...I feel like it's something I need to start exploring. So I'm going to try Liz's mix/regimen and see what happens.

    I also wondered while reading the ride posts...hmm. I really want to stress that this is an honest/curious question and not thinly-veiled judgment! I respect your horsemanship a lot and clearly Lily finished up in good order and everybody gets to have different risk tolerances, etc., etc. But I hit the point in the recap where the vet was concerned about Lily metabolically and I thought, "Wow, I am pretty sure I would have pulled." I don't mean that I think *you* should have -- I wasn't there, not my horse, I see the happy ending, etc.! I just am really interested in those moments and in that kind of decision-making and if you're up to talk about it, I'd love to hear how you worked through that decision and what was going through your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Me too with that decision!

      Delete
    2. No worries. I figured that question would come up when I disclosed that vet's comment and I figured some people would think I put my horse at risk by continuing. I know some people probably think I'm an idiot or incredibly stupid. I disclosed it because I wanted to be able to look back and remember that, while Lily completed, she still did have a hard time with the climb + moderately warm temps. The truth of the matter is that I may never attempt this particular ride again at the 50 mile distance, especially if the weather ends up being typical for it: hot and humid. If we were to try it again at this distance, we would do heat conditioning and a lot more climbing as part of training prior to the ride. This year they had an 80% completion rate for the 50 with most pulls being for lameness. This is unheard of for the OD. They usually get a lot of metabolic pulls as well. But the weather was in the high 70's with low humidity that day. If it had been any hotter or more humid, we never would have made it past that 2nd vet check when she developed the heart murmur. I would have pulled right then and there. She wouldn't have recovered like she did anyway. I had been ready to pull, I'd actually been welcoming pulling, at the Laurel Run vet check. But she made such a great recovery and both vets and volunteers said that the rest of the way was so much easier. So we decided to give continuing a shot. Believe me I REALLY questioned that decision on the third loop when we were riding in the sun with no available water for the horses! I also made a point of writing my own mental agony over deciding to continue at that point so I can remember. All the details in these posts are so I can remember the mistakes and the things that gave me pause. It is so easy to forget in hindsight when you have successfully completed.

      Delete
    3. What was going through my head at the last vet check is all of this:
      - Lily was being bossy about wanting to eat. She WANTED her food. She was putting in an amazing effort to take care of herself. This mare is normally pretty meek and compliant.
      - We had made some mistakes with her cooling down: Q going away, the rubbing alcohol, not letting her eat right away. She was really worked up. I wonder if her CRI might have been a little lower if we had followed Q to the vet, if we had not used rubbing alcohol, if I'd allowed her to eat a VERY wet version of her mash right away. The vet could see how worked up Lily was when we took her over to him, which is why he had us stand with the two mares nose to nose while he made his initial assessment.
      - Factors in deciding to continue: It was late afternoon. 5:30 pm by the time we set out. It was in the low 60's in the shade. We only had 6 miles to go. 6 miles is a short hack for us on an ordinary day. And we had enough time to do it 50% walk, 50% trot. It was a flat trail most of the way, no more rocks, and it was familiar to the mares. We also knew there were plenty of small stream crossings where they would be able to drink if they needed to. And the heart murmur had not reappeared. And looking at her, knowing what she can and can't give, I knew that she could do this, that this last section would be easy for her given all of those facts.
      If any of these last things had been different: if it had been longer than 8 miles to base camp, if it had been hotter/more humid, if Lily had not been making such a huge fuss about eating, if we had not had time to continue to incorporate walking into the last section of distance...if any of those things had happened, we would have pulled right then and there. It was only because of those coincidences of time, weather, short distance, desire to eat, cooler temps, water availability, that I decided to try to finish.
      She was monitored closely after the final vet check. I hung around camp until I saw her urinate: it was yellow. We didn't leave until after that had happened. She was eating and drinking like a champ. And she didn't stock up. Normally when she gets hot during any kind of workout she will be stocked up the next day if confined overnight. She has scared the crap out of me in the past doing this. She has stocked up in the past despite being poulticed too. And she didn't this time, which to me is truly amazing. I can't tell you why she didn't, especially given the fact that Q, who is used to the kind of terrain we tackled, had legs the size of tree trunks the next morning.

      Delete
    4. Lily has done great at home. Eating everything in sight. I had worried that she might have an ulcery flare-up, but she didn't. She was kept in the dry lot + stall with free choice hay the first week because I didn't want her to have to compete for a fan after that huge effort (there are fans in the mare field run-in shed but there are a lot more field horses out there now and it was so hot and humid this past week). She had some very mild swelling in her RH fetlock which developed 24 hours after being home, but I discovered she was starting to develop some rainrot around it. She was sound at the trot: had Charles trot her out for me and watched her go once in each direction on the lunge. Had the vet out anyway on Friday and told her what I thought it was, but also told her that Lily had done 50 miles the weekend prior and I wanted to be 100% SURE that I wasn't missing any kind of subtle lameness. The vet watched her move and flexed that fetlock for a full minute before having me trot her out. She was sound. Vet confirmed my "reaction to skin funk" diagnosis.
      So all in all, it did end well. A week later I can still tell you that I don't regret my decision to continue. I would have regretted it if we had returned home and she had developed problems as a consequence of the ride. She's currently out in the field running around and playing with the other horses like nothing happened. She comes to me happily whenever I go out to get Gracie and follows me around. No hard feelings on her part, apparently.
      Would I recommend other people do this ride as their first? Hell no. I wouldn't recommend it as a first LD even. And this is why I wrote in such detail. People know about Indian Graves in the Fort Valley ride...looking at pictures & video of Indian Graves, I can tell you that it looks much more doable than the craziness we scrambled over at the OD. I still don't know what that second climb of the OD is called. But people attempting this ride for the first time really should be aware that it is THAT difficult. It is THAT dangerous. It is not for the faint of heart and I do believe it was a miracle that we completed. I did something right with our conditioning by making a point of varying Lily's workouts over as varied terrain as I could find for such a long time (a year of conditioning), but I also think that we could have prepared SO much better if we'd known exactly how hard this ride can be and what exactly makes it so difficult. So now these posts are out there, available to others thinking of doing this ride for the first time. Now they know exactly how hard it can be and they can prepare accordingly.

      And that is probably the longest response ever in the history of blogging. Lol But I wanted the full response to be out there, and Blogger wasn't letting me post it as just one reply!

      Delete
    5. Thank you for the question, Hannah, and for not judging! I'm happy to discuss. :)

      Delete
  4. Regarding the stretches, I did several of these:
    http://bhls.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/computer-and-desk-stretches/
    Specifically 1, 2, 3, 6, 9 and 10.
    Also the arm across chest stretch: http://cargocollective.com/holisticathlete/Shoulder-Strength-Conditioning
    Easier to show with illustrations than trying to describe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta say, elyting O before a strenuous workout makes SUCH a difference in how fast she recovers. She sweats like a hog no matter what you're doing, so she usually gets supplemental help anyway, but supplementing her beforehand makes the difference between a horse that is fully recovered and bright/cheerful shortly after finishing a very hard workout, and a horse that is tired and stiff all over afterwards. Me too, honestly.... in the summertime here I have to be chugging Gatorade on hard days or else I am just DONE halfway through the day. Plain water doesn't do it for me... it had to be elytes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which electrolytes do you use with O, Andrea? She obviously does fantastically on them!

      Delete
    2. And agreed: if I don't take my electrolytes at all, I get woken up at night by horrible cramps in my legs! They make a huge difference for me personally, which is why I hesitate to not give any at all to my horses when they are sweating and it's hot.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations. I loved your honesty in your 1st 50 overview. I hate those stories that go, "I did my first 100, and it was great, no worries." Those are people who borrowed a horse who'd been conditioned by someone else, I suppose. You had to endure a lot of what you termed "mental agony" and that is a part of every endurance ride for most people. You ride along juggling your worries (boots, e-lytes, crap how long have I been on this diagonal, etc). Also, some of us don't have a fleet of horses, just the one.

    Re: your equipment updates - I concur about the bit hangers - there is no other way to go for me. I want the bit out as fast as possible as often as possible. In fact, I never put the entire bridle on my horse's head, I snap the bit on the saddle and put it in when I need it.

    Your helmet is awesome, and you might have noticed I'm a fan of white tack and a hater of the sun, so I've been considering a white helmet. Troxel makes a new low profile in white for 55$, hmmm...

    Your discovery of EZ ride stirrups, I had to laugh, cuz back in 99 I thought "Oh you wimpy endurance riders with your cushioned stirrups!" (I think I actually said this to David LeBlanc's face.) And then I tried them (on his horse). The first time that horse broke into a trot, I was floating.

    Your "reverse motion sickness", whatever it's called, oh how I miss that feeling as I lie down after a ride, still trotting: ) I love that you shared it cuz so many people haven't felt that, and they should.

    Your vet let you go on, even with that CRI. I don't know the rules for CRIs but I've been pulled for one 4 beats apart. I think your vet saw this dark non-Arab and that your trail was easing up and that you're obviously taking the entire 12 hours, and he made his decision. If I were you I'd have taken it too.

    Those rocks, if I hadn't known beforehand, I'd have been so angry at ride management for putting me there. I've gone overtime cuz of rocks kinder than those - thanks for taking all the photos. Let your blog be warning to those who attempt OD. It makes me wonder if people from the area actually train on those rocks, or consider that folly because they're career-enders over time, and you'd want to minimize the risk of that bad step that forecasts the end.

    Thanks again for sharing it with us. Time to update your banner photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lytha! Thank you for your comment! I hadn't realized you read my blog!

      I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the review. I loved your points of view in your comment! Interesting about your experiences with CRIs. Nick, the ride vet who took us to the OD, was asking me about that 60/68 CRI and told me he'd seen horses passed with worse who did fine at the end. He wasn't concerned about Lily's at that last check and didn't seem surprised that she recovered well. I have no idea what the rule is either, if there is any. I'm going to guess it ultimately depends on the ride itself (distance, terrain, etc), how the horse is being managed (riding fast or taking it slow), and the weather. I totally agree with you: I think if we'd had to ride longer, if it had been hotter, if we'd been riding faster, etc, he wouldn't have passed us.

      Yup, I was kind of livid when I realized how difficult the terrain up there is and how little information there is on its difficulty. In terms of training for this ride, yes: a lot of people train on those trails. The ride manager, Claire Godwin, rides the Old Dominion Triple Crown every year and has a string of Arabs (I think she has done Tevis with one of them?) and she goes up to PA to train with her horses because the terrain up there is equally rocky. Carol, the girl who drag rode and Nick's wife, works with Dr. Godwin and is going to ask about the trails she uses. So we'll see. I wouldn't want to train on terrain like that all the time though. It's just an injury waiting to happen. I'm still thanking the powers that be that Lily came out of that ride sound!

      And yes, the banner photo will be updated! My other photos by Becky Pearman finally arrived today! :)

      Delete
    2. Lytha, I actually haven't done my first real endurance ride yet (I did the OD Ft. Valley Intro ride last fall) - I contemplated making the OD 25 my first, but backed off because I didn't have the time to get all the climbing miles I thought I needed. To answer your question about training - I train on the rockiest, steepest shit I can find, and I do it with front boots and bare hinds. I don't know that there are a lot of places to ride that are as bad as what can be found on any of the OD rides, but my opinion is that it's best for both horse and rider to be very comfortable with ankle-turning rocks and boulders. I've met many riders now who have been riding the OD for more than a decade and they train on rocky mountains and they ride fast and their horses don't seem to break down. However, I think there is a risk every time a horse and rider go out on rugged terrain, so I think your point about career-ending rocks is something to be aware of!

      Delete
  7. Loved your white helmet! The pink one I have has many of the same benefits. I'm glad you're hooked, and I loved the behind the scenes photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist sharing the photos: so many of them were hilarious! I figured your pink helmet has the same benefits as my white one! :D

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the gear review! I love reading about what worked and didn't and you always have such a thorough analysis:) And I'm especially glad I volunteered instead of rode - I learned so much and I saved myself a ride that I don't think I was ready for. Those rocks are nasty, but it's so wonderful that you and Lily were able to find a way through the challenge. I think that's such an integral part of endurance - all the trust and problem-solving that you have to do out on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite part of endurance! :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed the review and that it's helpful for others. It's hard getting everything dialed in right. 3 weeks later and I can still think of stuff to add to this!

      Delete
  9. Great review!! Can someone explain the tailing to me? I've seen people do that but I don't understand the benefit.... It's seems like it would stress the horse's back, but I could be wrong. Maybe it doesn't because they are conditioned to it. What happens if the rider slips and gets dragged or the horse gets away? Also what makes pulling the rider's weight up by their tail easier than carrying it on their back? These questions probably sound really dumb, but I'm so curious about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my next post, "Catchup", there's a great link on training a horse to tail and why it's necessary for endurance. :) Like all things, if done correctly and the horse is trained for it beforehand, it is actually beneficial for both rider and horse. It is a HUGE effort for a horse to go up steep hills with awful footing plus a rider, tack, etc. It can really wear a horse down. When you're going up a steep mountain for miles and miles on end, the only way to give your horse a break is to dismount and hike next to them. However, endurance is timed and footing at this particular series of rides can be treacherous: you don't want to take too long negotiating the trail on foot either or all that effort will be for nothing if you go over time. Unless you're an experienced trail runner, the best solution is tailing: you use the horse's tail for assistance. It will help you balance and walk along faster than just going at it on your own. The horse should be able to walk along the trail on his own while pulling you along. *However* you are not putting all your weight into it. The horse should only feel about 15 lbs of pressure. You should still be carrying your own weight. It will work as a gentle stretch for the horse's back. Horses properly trained to tail actually enjoy it.

      Regarding the horse running away: you're not just holding onto the tail. :) Riders will have a long rope that they attach to the halter portion of the horse's halter bridle and use this to halt/guide the horse if necessary. 9'+ long reins that you can unclip will also work in most cases.

      Delete
    2. Oooh! That makes sense!! I'm glad to know they don't have their full weight pulling on the horse's tail. :) I've walked next to my horse on steep trails and held on to the saddle horn to help pull me up so I definitely understand the benefit of that. I just didn't know if it hurt them or not. I'm going to go read that link. Thank you so much for explaining it for me!!

      Delete
  10. OMG I know this is an ancient post but I have just read all your posts on the OD 50 and WOW I have never wanted to do anything as much as I want to do an endurance ride now! Thank you so much for sharing your stories, I can see that the rest of my day off will probably be spent reading more of your blog! - Sophie from NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This experience is what has kept me going! :D Glad you enjoyed it so much! There was one other ride this year (2014), one ride in 2015, and SEVERAL in 2016! With TWO horses! I hear the endurance scene out in your neck of the woods is pretty amazing! ;)

      Delete