"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Sunday, September 14, 2014

Let Go

Today I rode Lily and since there were a million people in the park, I decided to just stay in the back fields of the barn and work on speed yet again. (Somewhere out there there is a horse trailer with my name on it. Just sayin'. "If you build it, they will come!" That means when we put the hitch receiver on the truck, the trailer will materialize, right?)

We did 10 miles in an hour, alternately trotting one mile, cantering one mile. The mare was all, "NBD." Hopefully all this speed work translates to mountain climbing. Her recoveries at the moment are insane.

But that's not what I wanted to write about. I wanted to write about how I put my stirrups up two holes at the "we are doing business" length so I could get out of the saddle for the work I had planned. I wanted to write about how my legs felt molded to Lily's sides as I warmed her up, heels cranked to China. But I especially wanted to write about the moment when we were cantering around at Lily's all-day canter. I was listening to Pandora and the song "Rude" by Magic! came on.


I have always found reggae-influenced beats soothing and I really love this song. I started singing along to the lyrics out loud as Lily cantered around the field. And then I extended one arm out while Lily cantered on, unperturbed. So I hooked the reins on the pommel of the saddle with my other hand and extended both arms out and let go.

And we cantered on and on, free. No hands. Out in the fields, as one.

Sometimes you just have to let go.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was so awesome! :) Something I never thought this mare and I would achieve.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing trusting relationship you have with Lilly to "let go". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long, hard road to get here!

      Delete
  3. You two must have a great bond that only hours both in and out of the saddle can produce. You should be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete