"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Monday, February 11, 2013

On Blogging

I've had my blog up for a little over a year, but I'm still really, really new to this world, and am very green as to all of the protocols and courtesies. I got hooked first and foremost on Jumping Percheron, thanks to an awesome photo Stacey had posted of her and Klein going through a water obstacle at an event on Smartpak's Facebook page. She had linked to her blog there, and I decided to check it out, as I had never heard of an eventing Percheron before, and it was very obvious from the photo that Klein excelled at it! I started out reading her blog from the beginning to the present, and was sooooo hooked: she chronicled in detail how she trained Klein, her conditioning hacks on the trails in Hawaii (this brought back so many memories of conditioning my Pasos back in Puerto Rico!), and as I read on, I watched Klein blossom through Stacey's posts. The girl can train anything, and Klein is a beast over fences. It was exclusively because of that blog that I started mine, and as time has gone on, I've started reading other blogs, usually thanks to exploring a blog link on one of the current blogs I'm reading.

I just realized that while I have a fairly decent list of blogs I'm following, which I have set up on my blog so that when I go into Blogger to post, I see everyone's new posts, I hadn't become an OFFICIAL follower on their sites. So I just went ahead and officially signed up as a follower on all of my fave blogs.

I'm still a little befuddled that, while my blog seems to get a fair amount of views (that bronc riding post has had the most hits so far at 43!!) I only have 9 followers (my mom asked me to set her up as a follower, and somehow I managed to set myself instead...I have tried many, many times to delete myself from my followers list, but it won't work! So yeah, I don't count as my own follower...Ugh). What do you do to get more followers? I know my posts have a tendency to be really long (I do like to write, and as this is mostly a training log, I write in detail so I can look back and remember what I did with Lily and how she responded), so I've been making an effort to post a lot more photos to make them less wordy. Every new post gets posted on Haynet, and they've featured Freestyle as the blog of the week a couple of times already. I tried also posting on Google Horse Bloggers, but that site seems fairly dead most of the time.

I've told most of my close friends about it, but only one of them signed up as a follower. The rest are too busy most of the time to even check their e-mail, much less follow anyone's blog...This seems to be the bane of being a blogger in your 30's, with friends in your 30's (most of them with kids and busy professional lives), vs being a blogger in your 20's.

What do you do to promote your blog?

Lily updates coming soon! The vet is coming out this afternoon.

9 comments:

  1. Do you have a facebook page? I think that is helpful as your friends who don't follow blogs can still see that you have made a post and read it.

    Also if you post on any bulletin boards, add your blog address to your signature. I don't post on BB's very often but when I do I always get a new follower or two.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered FB has a Networked Blogs feature that I just added today. We'll see how that goes. I've been leery about outright linking to my posts on there, though I'm not sure why. I'll try it and see what happens.

    Thanks Stephanie! I LOVE your blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it a point to comment on other people's blogs too and make connections with them. A lot of my blog followers have become real life friends for me! But if you're new to commenting on blog I always do a "- Ashley @ www.theprocessoflearning.com" when I'm done with my comment so people have an easier click. Doing blog contests, giveaways, product reviews, etc always tend to get more follows too :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *If you are new to commenting on a blog, I always...

    that's what I meant to say :) sorry to sound illiterate! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. *lol* Thanks Ashley! I'd been timid about posting my blog link on comments because one blogger in particular had complained about that (one person kept posting lots of comments with her blog address), so I wasn't sure if it was okay to do or not. Thank you for the clarification! I'll make sure to do that next time. :) You did give me an idea re: giveaways. I'll be keeping everyone posted! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have 25 followers. But seeing as I follow a lot of blogs through Google Reader, I suspect others do the same. My blog page itself gets 30-60 hits/day recently. The stats are beginning to soar. Its funny the posts that get the most views sometimes. Long, short, photos, not. Hard to tell what people want, but I always try to include a ton of photos because I know I sometimes will just scroll through folks entries for photos on days I don't have time to read but don't want to get years behind on following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't thought about Google Reader until Dom mentioned it, and I do have 2 more followers through Haynet. Yes, yours and Dom's blogs were what have motivated me to start posting a LOT more photos, even if they're just crappy phone pics. :)(Wish my camera were as nice as you guys's! Love those photos! Someday I will have a DSLR...I guess I could take out my old-school SLR and get the photos on CD...hmmm) I'm still cracking up over how many hits the "I Should Be a Professional Bronc Rider" post got...I'm sure it was just because of the title! *lol* Adding the FB Networked Blogs thingamabob has upped the hits really fast, too.

    ReplyDelete