"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Snaps: The Road Goes Ever On


Some photos from our third trail ride since we moved. We've had enough snow that despite it being the second day in a row with temps in the 50's, everything still looks white! It's going to take a while for it to all melt.



Yes, we crossed the bridge in the photo. :)
This bridge. :)

This was actually a pretty steep hill, similar in angle to the beginning of the first loop of Fort Valley, but this photo doesn't do it justice in the least. Lily asked to trot it to get over it quicker.

I can't get over the mountains in the background.


We did w/t/c for about an hour and a half. I'm guesstimating we covered about 4-5 miles.

Those mountains. It is so awesome to be surrounded by mountains again in a place we call home.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea; 
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known. 

- "A Walking Song", The Hobbit


13 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely trail ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh the hobbit. Dave and I have been geeking out HARD on the Hobbit and LOTR lately so anything hobbit just makes me smile. I'd forgotten how wonderful and thrilling the series of movies was!

    I'm so happy you're out in the country now. (Because yes, I consider that to be "country" relative to Rockville/DC even though it's very far from the definition of "country" around my parts.) It's good for the soul to be out in open places like that on a horse. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, this is REAL country. You're going to have to come visit. The town where the barn is located is even more country than Elkins, I'd say.

      Something about this area just has us talking LOTR all the time lately. You'll see more of it in my newest post! Haha...Great minds think alike? ;)

      Delete
    2. To make it even better: the town where the barn is at is called Middletown. You know, like Middle Earth. I kid you not! :D

      Delete
  3. looks beautiful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous and what a fun, new place to ride your ponehs. I love bridges like that, although they do scare me a little. Can't wait to explore your new digs, via your ride posts this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty scared with that bridge the first time! Charles had to get off and lead Gracie across it (she gets intimidated by bridges the first time she sees them) and I was still nervous! It was much better the second time. :)

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous place you are in! I did have a little giggle when I squinted to see the mountains and then realized that was them, my western eyes wanted craggy peaks;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, out West you have the huge peaks of the Rockies. :D The ones in these photos average around 2,000 feet. But after living for 10 years in the flat flat flat swampland of FL, it's SOOOOO awesome to see any kind of mountain on the horizon and a road that winds up and down!

      Delete
  6. Great photos, as always. I'm loving this warm weather with snow covered ground. I do wish I had a horse to gallivant through it with <3

    ReplyDelete