"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Tuesday, March 3, 2015

WW: Surreal

Okay, so not really wordless.

We moved over the weekend (more on that later), both us and the horses. The snow from over a week ago never melted and over the weekend we had freezing rain...on Monday Charles and I took the mares for a spin around the new barn, and it was like we had landed on another planet.

The snow was covered in ice, which looked like frozen sea foam on the sides of the road.


Do you see what I see?
Charles on G-Mare.
Note the subtle reflection of the trees on the snow/ice
Do you see the similarity?
Gravel road to infinity.

The edges of ice and snow in the road photo above reminded me of this.


Compare to the background in the photo of Lily and me above
It doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination to imagine the ice as foam on the waves rolling into shore.


\


The farm yard, coated in glittery, sparkling ice
An ocean of wintry whiteness


A real ocean

I have never seen anything remind me so much of the island as the Mid-Atlantic during the summer. I don't miss the ocean as much as I normally would because so much of winter reminds me of the sea. It forever boggles my mind how our brains can be tricked by perception. 

I bet you never look at snow and ice the same way again! ;)



13 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything quite like that, so much ice! It really does look like an ocean though, that first picture I thought there was a pond on either side of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy weird. Once you realized it was ice and not water, it looked like it was solid ice through-and-through, but it was just a very thin glaze of it over the snow. The horses (and us) could walk through it NBD. It had the consistency of shaved ice.

      Delete
  2. That is crazy! And so very cool (literally I guess!). I've never seen snow do that. In the farm yard picture, I'm sure I'd be slipping and sliding all over the place. Glad you're able to ride even with that weather, I sure don't envy you now, though your green summer will make me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts were treacherous but most of it was the thinnest, crunchy layer of it. It crackled under our boots. Definitely couldn't run or walk quickly over it, but it wasn't hard to walk on it as long as you watched your step. :)

      This is going to sound crazy, but the temperatures were actually nice (for us!), hovering around 39. After several weeks in 20's and teens with wind chills in the negatives, 39 felt positively balmy! Hahaha....

      Delete
  3. You have a snow ocean!!!! How wonderful is that?

    Hope it melts soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much a snow ocean! :D

      This weekend's weather should take care of melting it all.

      Delete
  4. It really does look like water! When I saw the first photo, I thought for a second you had come to Jersey and were in the cranberry bogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to one day ride those cranberry bogs for reals!

      Delete
  5. The similarities ARE amazing, thanks for sharing the neat pictures! Your new barn and trails look soooo very similar to where I used to lease/ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was this with Aurorapedia? It's an interesting barn; they used to breed Crabbet Arabians and are moving more towards boarding now.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was with Rori! I’ve been tempted to move Quest there because of the trails- plus they have pasture board options too while would be ideal. And oh wow, Crabbet Arabians- that’s super neat! There’s a boarding place 10-15 minutes away from the TX facility I often travel to that breeds Arabians as well.

      Delete