"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tour of the DMV

Have a million photos from my mom's visit.
For those that are not local to this area, "DMV" = DC, Maryland and Virginia.

Astarte says, "I want some of whatever she's planning to cook!"
My mom is an amazing cook, and it's her favorite thing to do. We've said for years that she should own her own catering business. She seriously should have been a professional chef. Charles gained 6 lbs during her 2-week visit. I don't want to know how much I gained, but my clothes are tighter! We started running again this week, after a 2-week hiatus.
At Harpers Ferry :)















So...if you live in this area, you should TOTALLY check out this store! They have modern samples of historic candies that are, of course, edible.


My favorite candy was the Turkish Delight. It is from the 1800s and I had read about it in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. It was Edmund's favorite candy! It is the ancestor of marshmallow and taffy.
And yes, I totally stuffed my face with it, Edmund-style. It is my new favorite candy!
At this store they sold it by the bag, cut up into little squares and dusted with confectioner's sugar. OMG sooo good!
Did you know that Chiclets was the last gum that was made from a natural tree gum? I didn't. Dubble Bubble was the first completely synthetic gum.

Pretty jars on the store window.

Charles and Mom checking out the Native American gum.

One of the ice cream shops and the tavern next door.

Charles and Mom looking at the scenery.

The place where we ate lunch.



Swallowtail butterflies



Love these mountains.

Aengus has a shoe fetish

Downtown Frederick, MD



Love this.










I had never realized that these came in so many different colors!




We snuck into the art school to check out the student exhibits.

This store was all unique, and sometimes rather crazy-looking, eyeglasses. 

See the man with wings in the window?

Even the window is painted! The window above it is real. The window next to the man's, as seen in the previous photo, is also painted on the wall.

Mom's first ride on the Metro. On our way to the art museums in DC.





At the Hirshorn






I thought this was awesome!


This was the wall window of the store between the East and West  Wings of the National Gallery

Pictures didn't do this justice.
We took a ton of photos of the exhibits we saw at both museums, but I'm not posting them; afraid of some copyright mess.

Wall outside of the National Gallery.



Union Station
At the Korean BBQ. Yuuuummmm!!!

Georgetown, DC


Dean and Deluca.
If you've watched The Devil Wears Prada, you might recognize the name. The main store is in New York City. I was tickled pink when I discovered the Georgetown one. Of course we had to take Mom there.

Despite the store being ridiculously expensive, the coffee was about the same price as Starbucks's...and a million times better!

View from Dean and Deluca



Mom :)

Andre The Giant, by Banksy. Have you seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? If you haven't, and you're into art, you totally should! You will understand why Charles and I were SO excited to discover this little stamp on a Georgetown wall! 
Georgetown Cupcakes and the neverending line to get in. All thanks to a reality TV show about the place. The cupcakes are good, too.
Bowl of water for dogs, outside of CB2. The DMV is a very dog friendly area - this is also a common sight in Alexandria, Frederick and in our current hometown.



Georgetown is so stinking beautiful. The rent here is totally proportionate to the beauty, however...








Acorn trees at Great Falls

Wild oats!











Charles shaved for the first time in 5 years!






We'd never seen the water level of the Potomac this low - usually there is a small current flowing through this area, but it was so low that the water was still. Never mind that it had been raining all week!
While cautiously climbing over the rocks by the river, I discovered this handsome dude taking a nap.
Thank you Liz, for posting all of those snake photos taken while rock climbing! I don't think I would have thought to be as careful as I was otherwise.
Pretty sure this was a Northern Water Snake, which is not venomous, but I let him continue his nap. Better safe than sorry!


I <3 blue herons

Do you see the butterfly?




Old Great Falls tavern, now turned into a museum

Aengus says, "This CB2 tissue is AWESOME!"
Kiss! I love how well these two get along. Aengus, our MD kitten that we adopted just a month after moving to this area, just turned a year old on July 25th.

Handing out treats.
Mom says good-bye to Astarte.
For those of you who are newer to this blog: Astarte is a Puertorrican kitty. She was adopted at the Humane Society of Puerto Rico when she was 9 months old. She used to belong to my brother, but he couldn't take her with him when he moved to Ohio. She lived with my mom for the next 3 years or so, until I was able to have her brought to me in FL. She is probably the most-travelled of our current pets: in Puerto Rico, she moved from my family's old house to the new one, then from PR to FL; in FL she moved from Davie to Coconut Creek, and then, 4 years later, she came with us across 5 states on a 17-hour road trip to get to VA; finally, 3 months later she moved with us again to our current destination: MD. We find it a small miracle that she still gets excited about boxes and suitcases...she is a very unusual cat! Lol

With Mom at the airport


She loved it here as much as we do. My mom has visited at least once a year since I moved in with Charles, and like I mentioned before, she used to live in the US when her and my dad were still married - we lived all over TX and LA, as my dad was an Army colonel and we were always being relocated. But she had never been to this area before. Charles said he'd never seen her look so much like a kid in a candy store. We had a blast giving her the grand tour of the areas we know so far. The two weeks went by so fast!





2 comments:

  1. Aww snakey face.

    I think I wanna see Great Falls when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of our favorite places in this area, so far. We can definitely take you!

      Delete