"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Thursday, February 13, 2014

Indeed: Snowpocalypse

These photos were taken by Charles this morning when he left the hospital at 7:30 am. He had to park at the grocery store a couple of blocks away and walk home. We live 10 minutes from his job. It took him 40 minutes to get home.

One of our neighborhood roads

Ummm....yeah.

You know that photo I posted last night of the view into the apartment building? Same view, but this photo was taken looking in the opposite direction. See those bumps in the snow in the distance? Those are the cars in the parking lot.
This is what's on our balcony as of 11:00 am this morning. The winter storm warning is in effect until 5:00 am tomorrow morning. It just started coming down again. The forecast is saying up to 24", but given what is already outside in the parking lot, I'm thinking it's going to be double that...
Of course I work this afternoon. And since I live close to work, I'm going to be expected to show up. (The average driving time for most of our employees to get to work is 1 hour. It takes me 7 minutes with no traffic, 15 during rush hour.) I guess I could walk if I wanted to. Charles and I will be going to the grocery store later to get his truck so we can go to Home Depot to buy a shovel so we can dig up my car. The truck is taller than my car, but it is old so it sometimes has problems turning on when it's really cold, it is rear wheel drive and Charles has not put any bricks in the back to weigh it down (I hope that one day my husband accepts that living in a place with REAL seasons requires some adjustments between seasons...he'll still try to go out in flip flops when it's below 40 degrees outside...), and the heater in the truck doesn't really work. I'd rather drive my own car, since it's supposed to keep snowing tonight and I know how to handle my car on slick roads. I'll be taking the shovel, and I can always walk home from work if I can't drive...

It's much easier to walk home in the middle of a snowstorm with 20 mph winds in the city, than it is to walk home during a hurricane with 150 mph winds in the flat swampland, I can tell you that right now.

I knew we should've gotten a shovel last spring when they went on sale...Charles insisted we wouldn't need it because our apartment complex cleans up the snow...haha....they clean up the snow in the lot but not inbetween the cars and right now there is a 3' pileup of the white stuff directly behind my car.

Lily is absolutely fine. While it has been cold, it's been in the teens-20's at night, low 30's in the day. No super extreme temps. My BO texted this am to let us know that the horses were doing well.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup. I guess it's a good thing we live in an area that "doesn't get that much snow?" *snort* Lol!

      Delete
  2. Stay warm and dry! We got almost 10" of snow last night (we NEVER get snow!) but now it's nearly 50 and melting away already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! That's a lot of snow for you guys! We're expecting another 3" Friday night, and still more on Saturday...

      Delete
  3. I know you unburied the car . . . hope you got safely to work. You one tough lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to work was a piece of cake once we unburied the car. Returning home afterwards was a little bit of a mission, because we had still more snow dumped on us...the snow plows were having a hard time keeping up! Made it home safely though. But it was a brilliant idea to have taken the shovel with me to work - I did end up needing it! Haha...

      Delete
  4. Saiph, I am wondering if you could email me at ranchgirldiaries@gmail.com I would like pick your brain about the Wintec Pro Dressage w/conterbloucs, which I noticed in an older post that you have? I am saddle shopping,for Wintecs in particular, and a local shop has that one in I could trial but I originally was looking at a Dressage 500 or Pro, not the one with contorbloucs. Thanks for your help and be safe in all that snow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My advice is for you guys to get 3 shovels: 1 for your apartment and 1 for each car. This area doesn't always get this much snow (I think we got a total of 5 inches the last 2 winters combined), but you never know when you'll need to shovel yourself out. Especially during big snowfalls, there just aren't enough plows for all the roads and parking lots to get plowed quickly, and as you discovered, even if the lot or street is plowed, you still need to get your car out! I also recommend carrying a bag of kitty litter, especially for Charles. Two-wheel drive trucks often have a hard time with traction and the kitty litter can help sometimes. But really, you guys need to upgrade to a 4-wheel drive:) (which can also tow a horse trailer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips!! Very much appreciated! And yes to 4-wheel drive; the lease on my car is up this year and I've already been looking. Haha...

      Delete