"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Friday, July 5, 2013

Splish Splash

Sorry for all the mini-posts, but I figured it was better than one huge-ass uber-long post.

On Thursday, I rode before going up to Frederick for 4th of July. The barn was FULL. Everyone was getting their riding time in before the festivities. This was also Sally's last day at the barn; her and Jez have moved, which was the result of some pretty epic drama that I will not be going into since this is a public blog. The end result was that my farrier fired the entire barn, so now I lost my barn friend and also need to get a new trimmer.

I hate farrier hunting. After the bad experiences in FL, I'm terrified of letting anyone touch Lily's bare tootsies with a rasp. A good farrier can take your horse into the blue ribbons. A bad farrier can kill your horse. P, the farrier I was using, was one in a million because she was trained BOTH as a farrier and as a barefoot trimmer. She was extremely knowledgeable and willing to explain everything you were doing. One of the few farriers with whom I've been able to really talk about my horse. I trusted her completely. Ugh. P recommended a trimmer, but I think for now, I'm going to continue doing maintenance trims myself on Lily and see how she does. P was happy with what I was doing; she never had to fix anything-just back up Lily's toes and correct her flares.

It would be easy if all of her feet were even. Of course as soon as I start second-guessing myself (it usually doesn't take long...) I'll call the trimmer.

Highlights of our ride: we rode in the outdoor, since the footing was packed down after the rains the day before. Lily zoomed during the second trot set, which felt fantastic. I then had her stand in a giant puddle in the arena, where she proceeded to paw and snort at the water.

My pathetic attempt at taking a photo of her playing with the water.
But you get the idea.

This was the mare that used to refuse going into water.

Progress!




2 comments: