"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Saturday, December 7, 2013

Better.

Went to the barn tonight after work and was greeted by this:

She came out of the darkness when she saw the car pull up and stood at the gate, waiting for me.
Which made me really, really happy.

She followed me around with ears pricked and sparkling eyes. The dullness from the last couple of days had disappeared.

The run-in has its own storage area where us field boarders keep our feed and miscellaneous grooming supplies. I went in there to mix up some feed for Lily. When I opened the door, she was right outside waiting for me.

I took her out of the field and let her eat her grain+forage while I checked her over. Her temperature was 100.4, still well within the normal range. She was warm and comfortable under her midweight blanket-no sweating. It was 33 degrees at 7:30 pm.

Her front legs were completely back to normal - no fill at all. Her hinds weren't quite back to normal, but they were better than the day before.

You can see the definition in her front fetlocks again, and in her hind pastern.
The right hind was a little more stocked up than the left, but she also has a fungal infection going on there that I've been battling for the last few days, so I'm not too worried about the slight fill in that leg at the moment. On Monday I'm pulling out the prescription guns for the fungus.
It was good to see her eating with this happy expression again: ears pricked.
Once she was done with her feed, I put her back out with her friends and brushed the mud off of her neck and legs.

It was good to see her looking so much better today as I don't know if I'll be able to make it out tomorrow. We're supposed to get snow that is going to turn into ice by the evening. If there's ice on the road, I won't be driving the half hour to the barn after work tomorrow, but I will certainly go out on Monday.

On the way home in the dark, it was nice to realize that the roads had already been salted in preparation for tomorrow's bad weather.


Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts!! :)

5 comments:

  1. Missed the initial post but so glad she is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear she is almost back to normal. Be safe tomorrow. Ice on top of snow sounds pretty nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that Lily is doing better. It really sucks to have something going on with your horse and not be sure what it is. This has been a bad year, though, for fungal/skin crap. Nimo had the worst case of rain rot on his back and it took weeks to get rid of it, so I hope you can get the fungal thing taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saiph, I am so glad she is better!

    ReplyDelete