"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Friday, June 7, 2013

Horse Care During Tropical Storm Andrea

No, it wasn't very exciting. We just had rain, no wind. (Thank you weather gods!)

Regardless, today I just did not want to go to the barn. I didn't want to see what Lily's leg looked like, I didn't want to have to ice it, I didn't want to have to call the vet, I didn't want to have to walk her and even less, sedate and ride her. I just didn't want to go. I didn't want to know.

However, I can't stand the idea of her being locked up in that stall 24/7, so I went. 

Thankfully, after dragging myself out to the barn in the pouring rain today, her right front looked much better. I squeezed the crap out of her ligaments, and she didn't flinch at all. I didn't call the vet.



I took her for a 20 minute walk in the rain, around the barn. The indoor was being dragged and I wanted to walk her on concrete again after a couple of days in a row on sand.

Wet Lily

Walking through puddles

Rain gear

We then cold-hosed and iced her leg.

A mostly pain-free back

The side reins are working! Her neck doesn't look as upside-down as it appeared 2 weeks ago.
She went into her stall with the ice boots on. And then I made up her supplement baggies, since Smartpak's automated system screwed up when I changed up her supplements last time. (Long story; they fixed it awesomely as usual, but the final solution involved baggies for this month.)


Lily got her alfalfa/hay cube mush. After taking photos of her neck, I decided to bump her up to 4 oz of rice bran oil.
Yum...says Lily
I took the ice boots off, and the right front was completely and 100% normal. Finally. She got a scoop of bute with crumbled Stud Muffins, and I dabbed her leg with Surpass again. You're not supposed to touch it with bare hands because it's a transdermal NSAID and it can kill your liver. So I applied it with a small folded up paper towel. Lily spooked and snorted at the paper towel. That was folded up into a 4" square in my hand.

Mare.

It's a good thing you're cute.
I went home, and discovered that her insurance had sent me a check. I was VERY happy with the amount they sent. That was one week. One week from the time I sent them the paperwork to the time I received the check in the mail.

People, insure your ponies! Totally worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment