"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Monday, June 3, 2013

Today's Run: Bonus REAL Run

It was a real run because I actually really did run most of the way. It was a bonus run because it happened on a work day. I usually take work days off from running and riding.

 Today's Photos

Trail leading towards a giant condo building that looked like a hotel. Hadn't come this way before.

Going around the condo building, I discovered this artificial lake with a fountain. A great blue heron took flight as I ran by. During this run I saw that blue heron, a rabbit just hanging out by the sidewalk, and a DEER that leaped across the street and into one of the hidden reservoirs.

Street lamp haloed by the trees.

Today's Workout
I got home from the barn and rushed to change into capri tights and a short sleeve microfiber shirt before I relaxed and changed my mind. Charles was working tonight and he'd taken his iPad...and my headphones!! (WTF?? Why do you need headphones when you're working a shift as a nurse? That's just begging to jinx your night. Seriously. Ok, rant over.) I've been blessed with small ears, but the problem is that most earbud-type headphones are too big; I have a pair of wrap-around-the-ear type that are awesome and super comfortable for doing really active stuff like running and riding. I found a pair of earbud head phones with a wrap-around piece that I didn't even know we had, and stuck them in my ears...they would do. Grabbed my Nano, ran out the door, and had hit the bottom of the stairs, when I decided that maybe I should lock the door. So back up the stairs (we live on a 3rd floor) to grab my keys and a key ring to hook them onto my watch. Back down the stairs. By the time I was at the bottom, I still hadn't been able to open the key ring, so I ran back up the stairs to change it for another one. Locked the door, back down the stairs.

I considered that my warm-up.

I hit the sidewalk outside running at my 10 minute-mile pace. My goal was to run for the next 20 minutes with minimum walk time, and to make my run sets as long as possible.

My Nano has a playlist that is called, simply, Workout Mix, and it has ALL of my favorite songs to workout and dance to from the last 13 years or so. Most of them are faster songs alternating with slower songs, ideal for interval training, but with a couple slow songs in a row for recoveries, and sometimes a couple of fast songs in a row for longer hard training.

As luck would have it, the Nano happened to be set to the longest set of fast songs in the playlist. It was AWESOME! I ran to the following songs:

4am by Kaskade
I'll Hide You by Kosheen
Everyday by Shy FX & T-Power, featuring Top Cat
We Want by Skindred (I love ragga-everything)
Fireflies by Owl City (not a fast song, but I jogged for the duration of the song)
TiK ToK by Keesha (RAN that song, with sprint sets)
Say Hey (I Love You) by Michael Franti and Spearhead (another jog song. I love this song. It was Cloud's song)
I Like That by Static Revenger & Richard Vission (LOVE this song for any kind of exercise. Tell me you don't want to move to that beat!):
Sexy People by Static Revenger
Cozza Frenzy by Bassnectar (jogged)
Cooldown to I Like the Way by Kaskade

Run sets were anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes long depending on the duration of the song, with 30 second recoveries at the start of each song before the beat picked up. The 30 second recoveries were easy! I ended up doing 25 minutes instead of 20.

I really, really ran. I love runs like this. I used to be the fat kid in school who couldn't run half a lap around the track in gym class without running out of breath. The first time I ran a mile 10 years ago and realized I could actually do it without feeling like I was going to die...and feeling like I could actually keep going...is a memory that still makes me smile. The second best running memory is the day I realized I could run a mile in 10 minutes, which is pretty freaking awesome for the former fat kid that no one wanted on their team!

Towards the end of the run, the old broken bones in my right foot were starting to throb a bit, but I didn't stop until I really wanted to stop. I have no idea the distance I ran - probably close to 3 miles, given the pace I was going at.

I ran for me. And I ran for my mare who isn't allowed to run right now.

And it was glorious. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment