"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Weekend

Our barn evenings after work this weekend:

Saturday
Went to the barn, took Lily into the big field with just her rope halter and the lunge line for some lunge walking. She started out fine, then turned into a nut, deciding that anything I did was a reason for her to trot. We did 20 minutes. It was a struggle, and I was majorly pissed by the end. Not a relaxing end to a work day. We did more Kermit The Frog desensitizing in the wash stall, and she stopped reacting much quicker than last time. She seemed to be getting some rain rot along her left flank, so I gave her a bath with antifungal shampoo.

Sunday
Rushed to barn after work, cleaned Lily's stall, gave her her AbGard and mush, and hightailed it home. Her legs looked awesome. On Friday night I had asked Alex about just leaving her in her larger regular stall all the time, since she's gotten out of the turnout routine. She's handled being in her stall by herself without a buddy next door really well. She's only stocking up a titch in her hinds now, which is more what I'm used to when she is stall bound.

Monday
The weather was AWFUL. Storming with thunder and lightning. All the horses were in. I tacked Lily up with her saddle and a neck stretcher I ordered from Smartpak and took her to the indoor. I used a neck stretcher per my trainer's instructions back in Tampa to help encourage a jumper pony she was trying to sell to go in a frame correctly. I hadn't tried it on Lily yet, and hoped maybe she'd like it better than the side reins.

The result was better-she wasn't curling behind the vertical. Her mental state was WAY better than on Saturday too, and we practiced walk transitions, from slower walk to a more forward walk. All I had to do was accelerate or slow down my own pace as I drove her down the long sides of the arena or walked my own circle while lunging her. She spooked one time, where she half reared then galloped 5 strides before I could reel her in to a stop. I let her pause for a second, then asked her to walk. She obeyed without an argument.

I attached the lunge line to the saddle to work on bend.

Yay blurry cell phone pics. But at least you can see the position of her head/neck.

Driving home, I came upon a small traffic jam, and realized that a part of the country road between the barn and our neighborhood was flooded. People were proceeding cautiously through the water. I debated turning around, but saw cars as small as my Corolla going in without a problem, so I followed. They left a wake behind them, where the road could be seen. I didn't realize until my car was already in the middle of the water that this was a flash flood in the making and the water was rising by the second: a RIVER of muddy water was pouring down the side of the road and into the street we were driving through; you could only see the river once you were crossing. I've driven through pretty deep standing water, but only as high as halfway up my tires, and only when I'm 100% sure of the depth. Flooding was the norm in PR after hurricanes, and a lot of idiots got stuck in flooded streets, trying to cross without knowing how deep it was. I had never tried to cross moving water like that before, and I was afraid it would pick up the car and take us away.

My car and I made it through in one piece, but my heart was pounding there for a second. Next time, we're turning around!

Kids, don't try this at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment