"And, when you want something, the entire Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." -The Alchemist, by Paulo Coehlo



Friday, June 7, 2013

Today's "Run": Gym

It was pouring this morning so we went to the apartment complex gym. I had a brainfart and left my cell at home, so no photos. Though the photos would have been just of the gym.

I did 25 minutes on the elliptical, alternating 5 minutes forward with 1 minute backwards, incline level 3. They have the nice LifeFitness ellipticals with the integrated heart rate sensors on the handles. Average heart rate was in the 140's. I need to dig out my heart rate monitor.

Charles did the full 30 minutes on the elliptical.

I did every kind of row, fly and press I could think of on the dual pulley machine to work upper body, using 10-20 lb weights (on each side), and up to 15 reps. Whatever caused fatigue. Did it like one long circuit, each exercise back-to-back, no resting. I also threw in a set of squats, also using the pulley machine. I'm being careful about lower body strength training-if I don't take it slow, it will aggravate/tighten my hip and thus my back, and it will sometimes make my right knee flare up. Love that pulley machine-my shoulders were burning by the time I was done. It was 30 minutes of strength training.

Charles did free weights. He doesn't have a lot of strength training experience, only what I've taught him. He was always really outdoorsy, but has never done much of any particular "regular" sport (like running, cycling, etc. He has done rappelling, hiking, rock climbing, surfing and sky diving...But it's been a long time since he's done anything consistently) He didn't do a lot, but we'll work him up to more. He had a HARD time with squats! He'd never done them before. Got him a subscription to Men's Health-they have some awesome workouts there.

Considered doing another circuit of all the exercises I'd done, but decided against it since it was almost 1:00 pm by then and I wanted to get back from the barn at a reasonable hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment